Careers in W.E. Dowds (Shipping) Ltd. offer a range of opportunities for individuals interested in the transportation and logistics industry. These jobs require individuals to work in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment that requires strong communication, organisation, and problem-solving skills. With the steel industry continuing to grow, there is a high demand for skilled workers in this sector, providing opportunities for career advancement and growth.
If you're interested in joining our team or have any questions, please feel free to reach out to our recruitment team at email@example.com. We'd love to hear from you!
Our casual workers work on a business need basis. Their role involves participating in the movement of cargo between the vessel and quayside, in either loading or discharging operations.
- Working in a hatch with other stevedores to handle the cargo in a safe and efficient manner
- Using lifting gear and banding equipment
- Ensuring Cargo is not damaged during loading and discharging operations and reporting any damage to supervisors
- Slinging and lifting cargo from the vessel and landing cargo onto the quayside
- Chocking cargo in sheds or other suitable storage areas to ensure safe storage
- Ongoing training is provided to all casual labourers
This role primarily involves managing and dispatching cargo stored within a warehouse or outside area and participating in the movement of cargo between the vessel and the quayside, in either loading or discharging operations.
Our warehouse operatives complete all tasks of a casual labourer however hold extra responsibilities. They use a computer-based stock control system to ensure stock is prepared in advance and its location is accurately recorded at all times by carrying out regular stock takes. They operate gantry cranes and large forklifts to prepare the cargo for dispatch and make efficient use of space within the warehouse for incoming cargo. Warehouse operatives will liaise with our logistic coordinators to ensure the correct and efficient dispatch of cargo. All our warehouse operatives are required to adhere to our safe working procedures and participate in ongoing training.
Our operations team manage a multifunction port operation safely and sustainably. As well as general management of day-to-day operations the team manages all resources involved with port side; loading, unloading, storage, inbound and outbound logistics, and movement of a wide range of raw materials. Safety management is also at the forefront of the teams’ priorities.
Logistics coordinators are responsible for overseeing all aspects of our steel distribution operations, ensuring the flow of raw materials and final products from the port to end users. Using our IT systems they manage orders, transfers, and stock movements, delivering thousands of tonnes of product every week.
The stock control team is responsible for the inputting and management of stock held in customers’ accounts within the shipping operations at Newport. They are the initial point of contact for our customer and work closely with the logistics team. Customer service is at the forefront of their role and our team will manage customers and their product requirements daily.
Here at W.E Dowds as well as great career opportunities we offer our employees an excellent benefits package, this includes:
- 26 days annual leave increasing to 27 days after 2 years’ service, plus an additional 8 days for Bank Holidays.
- Our employees can choose from one of our 4 pension scheme options, in which they will be automatically enrolled (unless they opt out)
- Death in service pay of six times your annual salary.
- Private medical insurance for yourself, spouse/partner and children aged 24 and under.
- Enhanced Paternity and Maternity leave and pay.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Ongoing training and support within your role.